Saturday 18 April 2015

Childrens Dragonfly Craft

Anyone who knows me knows that I love doing anything crafty and creative so id be lying if I said I wasn't a little excited every time munchkin gets home work as it gives me the extra excuse to get all of the craft box out! Although I have to remind myself that Munchkins homework has to be done by him with a little help from me and that  its not important that its perfect!
He had a letter from school saying they were doing a topic about bugs so they had to make a bug/insect to display on the board in school.
I went through every bug I could think of....spider, snail, ladybird, fly etc....much to my delight he choose Dragonfly! Dragonflies have a very special meaning to me so there are alot of dragonfly decor around our home and in my office! Last summer once a week we would go to this small pond by a picnic area local to us and we would enjoy watching the dragonflies darting around for ages.
Anyways enough of my babble here is how it went & how it turned out!

Here is what I used
  • wooden spoon
  • Paint brushes
  • Paint (doesn't have to be acrylic)
  • wings cut out of card
  • Foil paper (blue & silver)
  • Table craft cloth
  • PVA Glue (forgot to take a pic of this)


First of all we started by painting the wooden spoon in green (obviously you can choose any colours)


Once we finished painting it all we set it aside to dry


We then moved on to the wings. I put PVA glue all over the wings and let munchkin stick on the little squares that id cut up. (try not to cut the squared so small otherwise children will get bored as it will take forever)

Once majority of the wings had been covered I trimmed the pieces that were overlapping the edges.


I forgot to take a picture but I painted the underside of muchkins index finger and got him to wrap that finger around the stick, creating the stripes in blue.


Munchkin nagged to add more sparkle on the dragonflies wings so I asked him to go through the tub of jewels and remove some of the green and blue ones (colour recognition an all :-) He then stuck these on the wings, Did a little bit of finger painting on the head of the dragonfly and popped on some googly eyes.

I decided to use the glue gun to glue the wings on as my PVA doesn't seem very good.
Does anyone know if PVA glue can go off???

So there we are! he has his bug to take into school on Monday morning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment